- If you don't know the difference between swell and surf, read Swell vs Surf
- If you've never seen a spectra graph before, read Swell Spectra
- The spectra graph on spot pages is generated by our global wave model. The spectra graph on buoy pages is generated from recorded observations at sea.
How do I find the Buoy Spectra?
From the Buoy report page, expand the Swell Spectra Labs graph highlighted below.
See our Buoys article to if you haven't yet found them on the app & website.
Why is this data useful to me?
Get a good rundown from our Director of Forecasting, Kevin Wallis here (scroll down to January release: Get down to the nitty-gritty of buoy data)
- Distinguish between mixed/messy/jumbled surf and clean/organised/lined-up surf
- Will help you determine which kind of break (beach, reef, pointbreak) you'll go surf
- Distribution of energy across different periods (and the mean direction of each period)